SSO supporters raise $1.1 million in annual gala
Published on 22 April 2018
Supporters of the Singapore Symphony Orchestra came together to raise $1.1 million at the SSO Benefit Dinner on Saturday, 21 April 2018, held at the Ritz Carlton Millenia.
Over 400 guests attended the gala dinner, which included guest-of-honour, Minister Ong Ye Kung. Themed “Fiesta Latina!”, the event featured performances by the SSO with European operatic star bass-baritone Zoltan Nagy thrilling the diners with crowd pleasers like Quizas, Quizas, Quizas and Cielito Lindo. Korean mezzo-soprano Seia Lee also made a special appearance performing Besame Mucho.
Said Mr Goh Yew Lin, Chairman of the Singapore Symphony Group, “All the things we do require certainty of funding over the longer-term: you cannot budget for an orchestra on a year-to-year basis when contracts with artists have to be signed up to 3 years in advance. The government has long been supportive, but for some of the funding, we first need to raise money from private donors like yourselves to unlock their generosity.”
Funds raised will go towards nurturing music talent and staging a variety of concerts, including this month’s theatrical concert Puccini’s La Bohème, featuring an international and Singaporean cast alongside the SSO. Donations also support SSO ticket subsidies for students and children with little access to concert-going experiences.
High resolution photos from the Benefit Dinner are available below. To download, right click to save file. Captions can be found at the foot of each photo.
- Associate Conductor Joshua Tan with the Singapore Symphony Orchestra at the SSO Benefit 2018
- (L-R) Mrs Clarinda Tjia-Dharmadi-Martin, Mrs Kim Camacho, Mrs Grace Yeh, Mrs Rosy Ho, Ms Maisy Koh, Mrs Odile Benjamin, Mrs Kwan Lui, Ms Judy Hunt, Ms Kris Tan, Prof Annie Koh, Dr Julie Lo, Ms Paige Parker, Mrs Celeste Basapa
- (L-R) Dr Julie Lo, Mrs Celeste Basapa, Mrs Grace Yeh, Ms Maisy Koh, Minister Ong Ye Kung (guest of honour), Mrs Odile Benjamin, SSG Chairman Goh Yew Lin, Mrs Kwan Lui, Prof Annie Koh, Ms Kris Tan, Ms Paige Parker, Ms Judy Hunt
- (L-R) SSO Associate Trombone Damien Patti, SSO Concertmaster and GK Goh Chair Igor Yuzefovich, Minister Ong Ye Kung (guest of honour), SSO Co-Concertmaster Lynnette Seah
- Singapore Symphony Group Chairman Mr Goh Yew Lin
- SSO Ladies' League Chairlady Mrs Odile Benjamin
- SSO Concertmaster and GK Goh Chair Igor Yuzefovich performs a solo from ‘Estrellita’ by Manuel Ponce
- Mezzo-soprano Seia Lee performs with the SSO conducted by Associate Conductor Joshua Tan
- Mezzo-soprano Seia Lee sings ‘Besamé Mucho’ accompanied by the SSO
- Transylvanian bass-baritone Zoltan Nagy serenades guests with ‘Cielito Lindo’, pictured here with SSO Ladies League member Mrs Rosy Ho
- Associate Conductor Joshua Tan, bass-baritone Zoltan Nagy and mezzo-soprano Seia Lee, with the SSO
- SSO associate conductor Joshua Tan, SSO Concertmaster and GK Goh Chair Igor Yuzefovich, bass-baritone Zoltan Nagy and mezzo-soprano Seia Lee
For press enquiries, please contact
Singapore Symphony Group
80 Bencoolen Street, Level 8,
NAFA Campus One Tower Block
T +65 6602 4237
About the Singapore Symphony Group
The Singapore Symphony Group manages the country’s flagship orchestra, the Singapore Symphony Orchestra. Established in 1979, our orchestra comprises 95 full-time musicians that play a versatile repertoire spanning orchestral classical favourites to exciting premieres of contemporary works.
We also manage the Singapore National Youth Orchestra, three choirs of varying ages, a music competition and music festival, as well as concerts at Victoria Concert Hall, Home of the SSO.
Our mission is to create memorable shared experiences with music.
For more information, visit www.sso.org.sg