One of Asia’s leading orchestras, the Singapore Symphony Orchestra provides artistic inspiration to Singapore and globally through its subscription and chamber music concerts, concerts for the community and students, recordings with international recording labels, and international tours. The SSO makes its performing home at the 1,800-seat state-of-the-art Esplanade Concert Hall. More intimate works, as well as outreach and community performances take place at the 673-seat Victoria Concert Hall, the home of the SSO. The orchestra performs over 60 concerts a year, and its versatile repertoire spans all-time favourites and orchestral masterpieces to exciting cutting-edge premieres.
The Singapore Symphony Orchestra invites applications from both international as well as locally-based outstanding conductors for the position of Associate Conductor.
The Associate Conductor will support the Chief Conductor and Singapore Symphony Group in achieving its goals of creating memorable concert experiences and making an impact on the community. The Associate Conductor will conduct concerts and rehearsals of the Singapore Symphony Orchestra, and contribute to conceptualising of programs for designated concerts and special programs. The Associate Conductor does not have to be a Singaporean resident.
Duties and Responsibilities
- For the 2022/23 season, the Associate Conductor will conduct rehearsals and concerts of the Singapore Symphony Orchestra as assigned, with a minimum of 8 projects.
- Assist the Singapore Symphony Orchestra in the shaping of Education, Community and special programs and to provide support to the artistic and community impact teams.
- Additional duties may be added.
- The Associate Conductor will be offered a contract for service with a fee for each project. The fee will be commensurate with experience and abilities, as well as the scope of the project.
- Flight and accommodation may be provided, if the Associate Conductor is not locally-based.
- Applicants should submit their application to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications must include a full CV of 200 to 500 words, detailing relevant experience.
- Up to three digital video recordings with the candidate conducting an orchestra. The videos should fulfil the below requirements:
- Candidates should be visible from an orchestral musician’s point of view.
- The sound must be of sufficient quality for the pre-jury to evaluate the applicant’s performance.
- Videos with very low sound quality will be discarded.
- The videos must be viewable online (Vimeo or YouTube) via links.
- The closing date for applications is 18th March 2022 at 23:59hrs (SGT).
- All applications will be reviewed by the pre-jury and treated as confidential. The Singapore Symphony Orchestra reserves the right to request for additional information from or about an applicant. In the online preliminary round the pre-jury will shortlist 12 conductors to participate in the 1st round of the live audition. Successful candidates will proceed on to the subsequent round(s).
- Flight and accommodation to attend the live audition will be covered by the candidates themselves. Candidates will be informed if their application is being taken forward by 30th March 2022, and must confirm their availability to be in Singapore on 21st and 22nd May 2022.
- Shortlisted candidates will rehearse the Singapore Symphony Orchestra at Esplanade Concert Hall, Singapore on Saturday 21st and Sunday 22nd May 2022, followed by a panel interview.
- Repertoire for the live audition as below:
- 1st round
- Mozart - Symphony No. 38
- Beethoven - Symphony No. 1
- Beethoven - Symphony No. 2
- Schubert - Symphony No. 4
- 2nd round
- Debussy - Prelude a l’apres-midi d’un faune
- Stravinsky - Dumbarton Oaks (1st movement)
- 3rd round
- Schumann - Cello Concerto
- Brahms - Symphony No. 3 (1st movement)
- The successful candidate will be expected to start in position in August/September 2022.
- If you would like to speak to someone about this position prior to applying, please email: email@example.com with your contact details.