SNYO in Concert: Elgar Cello Concerto
Sat / 30 Nov 19 / 7.30pm
Esplanade Concert Hall
Singapore Symphony Orchestra’s Principal Cellist, Ng Pei-Sian, joins the Singapore National Youth Orchestra as soloist in Elgar’s Cello Concerto. Written in 1919, the Concerto is one of Elgar’s best-loved works. Alongside the Concerto are two other stylistically distinct 20th-century masterpieces. Opening the concert is Malcolm Arnold’s Four Cornish Dances depicting the history, traditions and character of Cornwall in the southwesternmost region of the United Kingdom. Prokofiev’s Fifth Symphony, written as a musical celebration to the end of the Second World War, rounds off this programme. The composer himself said of this heroic and joyous work, “I wanted to sing the praises of the free and happy human being—of such a person’s strength, generosity and purity of soul.” This concert is conducted by the SNYO’s Principal Guest Conductor Peter Stark.
FeaturingPeter Stark, conductor / Ng Pei-Sian, cello / Singapore National Youth Orchestra
Four Cornish Dances, Op. 91
Cello Concerto in E minor, Op. 85
Symphony No. 5 in B-flat major, Op. 100
- Children must be age 5 and above to be admitted into the hall.
- Children under 5 will not be admitted into the hall, even with a ticket.
- Please bring along proof of child’s age, such as a student concession pass, as random checks may be conducted at the venue.
- Parents or guardians of children admitted are strongly encouraged to purchase aisle seats.
- We reserve the right to ask parents to bring children out of the hall should they be disruptive during the performance.
- No admission without a ticket.
- You are strongly advised to be seated 15 minutes before the performance start time.
- Latecomers will only be admitted at appropriate pauses during the show or during intermission, if any.
** Photography/ Video Recording Rules**
Photographs and videos will be taken at the event in which you may appear. Such photographs and videos may be displayed or published on SSG’s website, social media platforms, publications and publicity materials. By attending the event, you consent to the use of these photographs and videos for the foregoing purposes.